Wednesday, November 02, 2005

For those from "I'm not sorry" who are interested.

I've never had an abortion. never. I've been with friends who've gotten one, and I have friends who have gotten one, but I've never needed the procedure.

I've had my birth control fail on me three times. that I know of.

I have three sons.

The first time was when I was 20 years old, a stoner, smoker, drinker, party girl with a boyfriend that I chose for his stamina in bed, his beard, his sarcastic wit, his sense of style, and the fact that he was a DJ and a film major. Our relationship was on the rocks anyway, when I discovered that you really do have to take the pill at the SAME TIME every day. Either that or the Quality control at Ortho-Novum was not really up to par in 1987.

When I informed boyfriend, he informed me that if I didn't get an abortion, I would ruin his life, and that he was telling his new girlfriend that I was a lot farther along than I was, because he had told her that he had broken up with me months ago. Like I said, I wasn't looking for a husband here, I was looking for a good time. I got what I wanted, didn't I?

My parents are moderately Pro-Life. They also put their money where their mouths were, and took my pregnant self back in, and paid for an OB/GYN. Unfortunately for all concerned, I developed Pre-Eclampsia and Toxemia, and had to be delivered early by C-Section. My son was a preemie and went immediately to the PICU in a nearby children's hospital.

Since all these complications cost way too much, I ended up turning to the dark side and going on welfare.

Yes, I'm an evil, evil Welfare Queen. (at one time.) I had a child that I could not support. I went back to college, got my degree, got a job, went off welfare. yay me. Still an EVYILLL single mom. Fungus on the Family would still not approve.

and let's talk about allll the help I received from various "pro-life" organizations..

*crickets*

Planned Parenthood did give me free birth control, though. YAY for PP.

The boy turns 18 this week. I wouldn't have missed this ride for the world.

4 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting story. Choice does work both ways, but a lot of pro-choicers seem to forget that ...

BTW, I deleted your reply to Ged--not because I didn't like what you said, but Ged is an asshole of long standing on the INS blog and any replies encourage him into greater acts of assholery. He seems to think I have a short memory and pops back on about once a month to see if he can get away from posting his diatribes. I delete anything he posts and anything posted in reply--that is one troll that does NOT get fed.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger kitsunekaze said...

re: GED. Okay. I figured it was something like that. I won't feed the troll from now on.

While I was raising my son, one of the things that went through my mind -frequently- was "I made this choice. no one forced this kid on me."

I'll be damned if I'm going to support taking that choice away from anyone else. the parents don't deserve that, and the kids DEFINITELY don't deserve that.

I try to keep that in mind when i think of Michelle Duggar, and how I think she is diservicing her kids and herself. It's her choice.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Right to Life of Michigan said...

In this entry you mention that you didn't receive any help from pregnancy care centers. Did they turn you down?
If they did, did they give you a reason?

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger kitsunekaze said...

jivinj, there was zero help from any "pregnancy care centers" back in '87. Hell, I even went BACK TO THE CHURCH and I got nothing but static from the officials there. No help with child care so I could go to school, no help with medical bills that were sky high, nothing, nada, zip. Nothing but whispers about what a slut I was, and my child, the bastard.

nice people, them Catholics. (to be fair, not everyone was like that. however most of them were.)

Past that, even when I did go back to school, I got help from the government, but not from the RCC. Not from any other "pro-life" organization, either. the whole time I was living with my parents, I was freaking virginal, yet I got nothing. Not even baby clothes. Now, I'm not saying I deserved them, I'm just saying that for an organization that claims that every life is sacred, they certainly didn't seem to give a damn about my kid after he was born. Hell, they didn't even give a damn after I said I was going to have him. When I almost died ahving him, do you think ONE FREAKING PERSON at that church, or from that organization bothered to check up on us? bothered to check up on my kid, a preemie on life support?

nope. He wasn't a fetus any more.

A friend of mine went to one of tose "alternative" type places once, just for the pregnancy test, she and her husband were not considering abortion. They were locked in a room with a tv that was bolted to the wall, and set on a particularily gory anti-abortion video that they could not turn off.

It wasn't untill her husband threatened to bash in the tv that they let them out.

I didn't hear that story untill a few years after my experience with one. Based on their experience, plus my own later experience, plus other stories I've read on the web, I have zero respect for these organizations. OTOH, Planned Parenthood not only gave me low-cost birth control, but they've given referrals to ObGyns in our area to women who do want to continue their pregnancies, as well as providing low-cost pap tests and other services.

all without lying or being condescending. the local alternative clinics don't provide birth control, or pap smears. They're really no good at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home